It’s crazy to think it’s only been two months since I ran my first marathon. It feels like a lifetime ago.
Since my training ended, I’ve been having fun getting back into classes at the gym, doing yoga, and going for long walks with Matt. I’ve even been able to start riding my bike to work again on days the rain chooses to subside.
It’s been an unusually long winter in Perth, with the rain lasting late in October, when normally we’d enjoy a beautifully sunny spring. Between early morning wind and storms, knitting into the wee hours, and my busy gym and work schedule, I have let my early morning run routine fall to the wayside. ENTER: Music and sunshine.
Ever since I was in college, I would always get motivated to run when I heard a great new song at a party or on the radio. I love a good beat, and although I hardly listen to the radio these days, (it’s all podcasts all the time, especially in the car – at least until the new Arcade Fire comes out this week!!) I am still exposed to good running jams every now and then.
Personally I think music – even more than friends – is the best motivator for both running and doing chores. If I can dance while mopping, all the better. This morning I decided that rather than waiting all the way to 9:15 for Body Attack at the gym (I’m an earlier riser, we’ve established this), I would go for a run. It was time to revamp my running mix with a few tunes I’ve been loving lately. Feel free to judge, I am not ashamed.
New on my playlist
1. The Wire by Haim – check out the video too, I absolutely LOVE this song. It’s not quite the usual fast beat I like to run to, but I like it so much it doesn’t matter.
2. Talk Dirty to Me by Jason DeRulo – heard this one again a few weekends ago when out dancing with friends. Certainly not family friendly, but a GREAT beat.
3. Classic by MKTO – again, judge if you will. It’s catchy
Oldies but goodies currently on my mix
1. Let’s Groove by Earth Wind and Fire – YES.
2. She Drives me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals – great jam, totally classic.
3. Sussudio by Phil Collins – if you know me at all, you know that I LOVE Phil.
4. Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol – this has a perfect beat for running, as does…
5. Super Freak by Rick James
6. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles – can’t go wrong with this one
7. Sleepyhead by Passion Pit – it’s the perfect first song on a running mix
8. Pompeii by Bastille – not exactly an oldie, but it’s been a favorite for awhile
9. 867-5309 (Jenny) by Tommy Tutone – makes me laugh
10. Nobody’s Supposed to Be Here by Deborah Cox – great motivator and great to dance to
I could go on and on, but these suggestions are more than enough to get you started. What songs are staples on your workout/cleaning playlists? I’m always open to ideas (though if you say Taylor Swift, FRIENDSHIP OVER).